School Council Executive
The school council executive for the 2017/18 School year
Onoway Jr/Sr High School Council email@example.com
Chairperson- Melanie Fitzgerald
Vice Chairperson- Dena Friars
Secretary- Samantha Grantham
Treasurer- Christine Peck
Communications Officer – Tammy Brent
Meeting Dates for the 2017-2018 Year
(usually 2nd Wednesday of the month)
OPEA -Onoway Parents Educative Association- non profit society
October 11- School Council
November 15 - School Council
December 13 - School Council
January 17 - OPEA and School Council
February 21 - School Council
March 14 - School Council
April 11 - OPEA and School Council
May 9 - School Council
June 13 - OPEA and School Council AGM
Onoway Jr/Sr High School Breakfast Nook
Thanks to the generosity of many parents and staff, students who don't have breakfast or forget their lunch can now stop by the counselling area and get a quick bite of toast or a granola bar.
We are in need of :
- granola bars
- peanut butter
- granola bars
If you are able to donate any of these items please drop them off at the office.
Coffee Club Dates
Onoway Jr/Sr High School Council has parent volunteers come in the morning of the last Monday of the month from 8:30 - 9:00 AM to help welcoming our students to school.
We invite you to come and join the Coffee Club. All that is required is to come in, enjoy a cup of coffee at the office and welcome students at the front door as they arrive at school.
We are meeting on the September 25 at 8:30 am in the office and handing out treats to the students as they enter the school.
We have set the dates for Coffee Club for the school year. They are:
If you need more information, know of someone who would like to volunteer or have any questions please do not hesitate to e-mail
Onoway Jr. Sr. High School Council Meeting Agenda October 11, 2017
- Call To Order
- Additions/Deletions To The Agenda
- Adoption Of The Agenda
- Approval Of Minutes
- Trustee Report
- Principal’s Report
- Webs Of Support - Presentations And Follow Up With OES and OJSH
- 2017/18 School Advancement Plan
- Athletic Director – Updated Release Time Agreement With Mr. Lougheed For The 2017/18 School Year
- ATA Agreement And Its Impact On Some Afterschool Credit Programs
- Teacher Rep Report
- Old Business
- Minister Invitation
- New Business
- Athletic Director
- Treasurer’s Report
- Next Meeting
- November 15 , 2017
Onoway Parent Educative Association Society Meeting September 13, 2017
- Meeting called to order at 6:34 pm by Melanie Fitzgerald
In attendance were: Melanie Fitzgerald, Christine Peck, Samantha Grantham,
Laura Harrison, Cathy Brennan, Dena Friars
- No additions made to the agenda
- A motion was made to approve the minutes as published June 14, 2017. First Cathy Brennan and Seconded by Dena Friars.
- Casino Representative – Cathy Brennan
- Old Business
- Track Grant: Waiting to hear on CFEP grant application
- New Business
- AGLC List of Executive:
- Budget - $750 budget for bus driver gift cards and teachers appreciation lunch
- $500 for candy, pencils, earbuds for coffee club greeting supplies
- Meeting Dates: January 17, 2018,
April 11, 2018
June 13, 2018
- Casino Date: 2nd quarter of 2018. Motion made by Cathy Brennan and seconded by Laura Harrison
- Treasurer’s Report - Prepared by Christine Peck
- June 1, 2017 – August 31, 2017
General Account – 70-01118
Opening Balance: $1081.53
Staff appreciation lunch cheque #14 -257.25
Bank Service charge -1.00
Closing Balance: $823.28
Casino Balance 75-25419
Opening Balance $10,965.58
Closing Balance $10,965.58
- Approval of financial statement by Dena Friars and seconded by Cathy Brennan
- Meeting adjourned by a motion from Laura Harrison and seconded by Cathy Brennan
* Next meeting will be January 17, 2018
Onoway Jr./Sr. High School School Council Meeting September 13, 2017
- Meeting called to order at 7:00 pm by Melanie Fitzgerald
In attendance were the following:
Melanie Fitzgerald Christine Peck John Lobo
Dena Friars Lisa Dundus Judy Muir
Samantha Grantham Tammy Brent Laura Harrison
Cam Gundmundson Ann Roberts Cathy Brennan
Irene Wilkinson Caroline Landals Chaddie Langman
Mary VanDerPutten Hugh Provence Dorthy Mclean
Shylo Kassian Debra Redlick Laurie Haggart
- Introductions were made
- A motion was made to adopt the agenda as by Dena Friars and seconded by Laura Harrison. All in favor.
- Motion was made to adopt the minutes as published by Laura Harrison and seconded by Christine Peck. All in favor.
- Trustee Report - given by Judy Muir -
NGPS was able to meet with the Minister of Education on August 30. The topics discussed were a review of the funding framework for rural schools, the 45 credit funding cap, clarification of government support for dual credit programs, the Division's top capital priority, the education/school act, and the curriculum review process.
An educational service agreement has been struck with Sturgeon School Division which terminates the practice of their sending a bus into NGPS to pick up students in the Noyes Crossing area at the end of the current school year. 12 students currently attending Sturgeon schools will be grandfathered until the end of the year at which time they will need to provide their own transportation to the nearest point of pick up within Sturgeon School Division should they wish to continue attending there.
Student enrolment is down as of Sept. 8/17 58.5 (FTE)students or 1.2%. Kevin and myself and minister and then get two of his sub his people there and I was always very small meeting.
- Principals Report – given by John Lobo and attached
- Teachers Rep Report – given by Lisa Dundus and attached
- Old Business
- Breakfast Nook: Ann Roberts Volunterred to organize a schedule for donations. There will also be a food drive for donations for breakfast nook on Sept 21 at PTI’s Dena Friars will donate bread for the year.
- Coffee Club Dates: September 25
*the dates have been changed to Mondays at 8:30 am
- New Business
- Annual School Council Report: Melanie presented for people to read.
- Minister Invitation – Minister has sent a letter asking if the school council would want to met with him to talk about rural funding issues. It was mentioned we could combine with other local schools in our area for this meeting if it will work.
- Grad Fair: Will be Monday February 19, 2018 at the Heritage Centre Room 1
- Treasurer’s Report – given by Christine Peck
- General Account had a closing balance of $823.28
- Casino Account contains $10965.58
- A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Dena Friars and seconded by Christine Peck. All in favor
Next meeting is October 11, 2017 at 7:00 pm
September 13, 2017
- Announcements – Morning announcements are read by the LA teacher in Jr. High classes and by the first block teacher in Sr. High Classes. Announcements are posted around the school and are displayed on TV monitors.
- Education Expo - will be held at 7 pm on Wed. Nov 1, 2017. All students and parents are encouraged to attend. Alberta Postsecondary School Representatives will be in attendance.
- Orange Shirt Day - Friday Sept 29 OJHS will be recognizing Orange Shirt Day - this day is to keep the discussion on all aspects of residential schools happening annually.
- School Clubs are Starting – for example: Art Club, Robotics Club, there will be a school musical again this year.
- ACS Team – we will have at least 6 visits from this team. It includes a Provisional Psychologist, Occupational Therapist and Speech Language Pathologist. They will be in classes and offering workshops on such topics as study skills and test anxiety over the year.
- Other School Resources:
Addictions Counsellor – Jack Adkins – can work with individual students and families
Behavioral Consultant – Christa Stehr – individual student counselling
School Division Social Worker – Tamara Charko
Parents can receive more information on these services by contacting one of the counsellors
- Seventh Step Society - We will be hosting a speaker from this group in October.