School Council Executive
The school council executive for the 2017/18 School year
Onoway Jr/Sr High School Council email@example.com
Chairperson- Melanie Fitzgerald
Vice Chairperson- Dena Friars
Secretary- Samantha Grantham
Treasurer- Christine Peck
Communications Officer – Tammy Brent
Meeting Dates for the 2017-2018 Year
(usually 2nd Wednesday of the month)
OPEA -Onoway Parents Educative Association- non profit society
January 17 - OPEA and School Council
February 21 - School Council
March 14 - School Council
April 11 - OPEA and School Council
May 9 - School Council
June 13 - OPEA and School Council AGM
Onoway Jr/Sr High School Breakfast Nook
Thanks to the generosity of many parents and staff, students who don't have breakfast or forget their lunch can now stop by the counselling area and get a quick bite of toast or a granola bar.
We are in need of :
- granola bars
- peanut butter
- granola bars
If you are able to donate any of these items please drop them off at the office.
Coffee Club Dates
Onoway Jr/Sr High School Council has parent volunteers come in the morning of the last Monday of the month from 8:30 - 9:00 AM to help welcoming our students to school.
We invite you to come and join the Coffee Club. All that is required is to come in, enjoy a cup of coffee at the office and welcome students at the front door as they arrive at school.
We are meeting on the September 25 at 8:30 am in the office and handing out treats to the students as they enter the school.
We have set the dates for Coffee Club for the school year. They are:
If you need more information, know of someone who would like to volunteer or have any questions please do not hesitate to e-mail
Onoway Jr. Sr. High School Council Meeting Agenda November 15, 2017
- Call To Order
- Additions/Deletions To The Agenda
- Adoption Of The Agenda
- Approval Of Minutes
- Trustee Report
- Principal’s Report
- Sports Updates- Volleyball And Basketball
- Webs Of Support- Activities In Classrooms Gr. 8/9
- November 28- Results Review with NGPS Trustees. Report To School Council In December
- Remembrance Day- November 7- Plan B Due To Gym Curtain
- 190 Plus Chrome Books New To Classes For 2017/18
- Teacher Rep Report
- Banking For Athletics
- Old Business
- New Business
- Treasurer’s Report
- Next Meeting
- December 13, 2017
Onoway Parent Educative Association Society Meeting September 13, 2017
- Meeting called to order at 6:34 pm by Melanie Fitzgerald
In attendance were: Melanie Fitzgerald, Christine Peck, Samantha Grantham,
Laura Harrison, Cathy Brennan, Dena Friars
- No additions made to the agenda
- A motion was made to approve the minutes as published June 14, 2017. First Cathy Brennan and Seconded by Dena Friars.
- Casino Representative – Cathy Brennan
- Old Business
- Track Grant: Waiting to hear on CFEP grant application
- New Business
- AGLC List of Executive:
- Budget - $750 budget for bus driver gift cards and teachers appreciation lunch
- $500 for candy, pencils, earbuds for coffee club greeting supplies
- Meeting Dates: January 17, 2018,
April 11, 2018
June 13, 2018
- Casino Date: 2nd quarter of 2018. Motion made by Cathy Brennan and seconded by Laura Harrison
- Treasurer’s Report - Prepared by Christine Peck
- June 1, 2017 – August 31, 2017
General Account – 70-01118
Opening Balance: $1081.53
Staff appreciation lunch cheque #14 -257.25
Bank Service charge -1.00
Closing Balance: $823.28
Casino Balance 75-25419
Opening Balance $10,965.58
Closing Balance $10,965.58
- Approval of financial statement by Dena Friars and seconded by Cathy Brennan
- Meeting adjourned by a motion from Laura Harrison and seconded by Cathy Brennan
* Next meeting will be January 17, 2018
Onoway Jr./Sr. High School School Council Meeting October 11, 2017
- Meeting called to order at 7:01 pm by Melanie Fitzgerald
In attendance were the following:
Melanie Fitzgerald Christine Peck John Lobo
Dena Friars Lisa Dundas Caroline Landals
Mary VanDerPutten Laura Harrison Cathy Brennan
Samantha Grantham Ann Roberts Laina Fowler
Bonnie Sandsbraaten Tracy Bartel Kristina Prokuda
- Introductions were made
- A motion was made to adopt the agenda as by Laura Harrison and seconded by Dena Friars. All in favor.
- Motion was made to adopt the minutes as published by Dena Friars and seconded by Christine Peck. All in favor.
- Principals Report – given by John Lobo and attached
- Teachers Rep Report – given by Lisa Dundus and attached
- Old Business
- Minister Invitation – Melanie Fitzgerald sent a reply. We have not yet got a reply back.
- New Business
- Athletic Rep – A motion was made to nominate Kristina Prokuda to be Athletic rep by Melanie Fitzgerald and seconded by Christine Peck.
- Town of Onoway and Lac Ste. Anne County donated $1200.00 toward new jerseys.
- Treasurer’s Report – given by Christine Peck
- General Account had a closing balance of $823.28
- Casino Account contains $10965.58
- A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Dena Friars and seconded by Christine Peck. All in favor
Next meeting is November 15, 2017 at 7:00 pm
October 2017 School Council Principal’s Report – Mr. Lobo
1) Webs of Support – Presentations And Follow Up With OES and OJSH
Great event we are following up with yearlong activities Large balloons/ small balloons solid webs/ shaky webs Red – 5 Adults in a young person’s life
Orange – Tangible strings- making up a students support web Yellow – Intangible strings – making up a students support web Green – growing the balloon
Blue – scissor cuts – those actions and activities that undermine a web
Indigo – Caring for the carers
Violet – social norms
Vary from area to area in the east end of LSA/ school standards/ home standards
2) 2017/18 School Advancement Plan
3 main goals
Empowering learners – (students/parents/community) through Webs of Support/Developing Resilience in Students
Empowering learners – Staff consciously focused on developing Quality Learning Environments
Empowering learners – Continuing the journey to understand FNMI communities and history - TRC specifically https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TxzM0oJycg1zGkjkKPut8CC1sU_dKRFAfGh EaN4uqZ8/edit
3) Athletic Director – Updated Release Time Agreement with Mr Lougheed for the 2017/18 School year
Previously we had a blank 1/8 fte release = approx. $12,500
1 day sub a month plus extra days during busy times – Sept/November
12 days @ 230/day = $2800
No extra internal coverage (for 17 hrs to get to 907)
Any pre booked subs with prep directed to Him
4) ATA Agreement and It’s Impact on Some After School Credit Programs
907 instructional hours/1200 assignable hours
As a school we are well under 888 instructional/1140 assignable so available room
(17 hrs instruction/41 hrs assignable)
Any student event where credits are earned have to be considered instructional time/or supervisory time
- a) Honors band trips – 5 credits
- b) Outdoor Ed– future trips – 5 credits earned offset student costs for doing the trip
- c) Europe Trip- Tourism course – 5 credits
5) Research Project
Science classes Sci 14/10/Gr8/Gr9
Nicole Jarecki is a graduate of Onoway Jr/Sr Highschool and a current student at MacEwan University in the BA Psychology Honors Program. Nicole is conducting her 4th year Honours Thesis Research. This research is centered on teaching critical thinking to students before they graduate high school and possibly move on to post secondary education. Nicole and her supervisor have developed a one hour presentation within the framework of scientific thinking in order to engage and teach students critical thinking skills. The research has been vetted and approved by the NGPS division office.
- A staff member asked that School Council be told how much staff appreciate your work. Your enthusiasm on treat day is wonderful and it is great how parents are supporting the food in the wrap around area.
- It is Open House time for post-secondary schools and dates are being advertised to students. We are taking a bus to the NAIT Open House this Friday and response from students has been far less than in previous years.
- Students in the Green Certificate program have their testing coming up at the start of Nov.
- We are having visits from the 7th Step Society and Lasalle College before the end of the month.
- The grade 9s had presentations from the Aspen Collaborative Services (ACS) Behavioral Consultant and our Constable regarding Internet Safety.
- The ACS Team compiled the information learned when they spoke to all the grade 8s regarding their transition to our school. Results were favourable and interesting.